Statement of Purpose
This statement of purpose for Fishermead Medical Centre sets out the following information:
- The full name of the service provider and any registered manager together with their business address, telephone number, and where available electronic mail addresses.
- The legal status of the service provider.
- Details of the locations at which the services provided for the purposes of the regulated activity carried on.
- Our aims and objectives in carrying on the regulated activity.
- The kinds of services provided for the purpose of carrying on of the regulated activity.
- The range of service users’ needs which those services are intended to meet.
Fishermead Medical Centre is a General Practice Partnership of three GPs, open to all patients living within our practice boundary in Milton Keynes. We work in partnership with our patients and our PPG to provide medical care for our patients.
We are a General Medical Services (GMS) Practice offering Primary care services for the diagnosis and prevention of disease. We help patients to manage their health and prevent illness. Our GPs assess, diagnose, treat and manage illnesses.
They carry out screening for some diseases and promote general health and wellbeing. Our GPs act as a patient’s advocate, supporting and representing a patient’s best interests to ensure they receive the best and most appropriate health and/or social care.
Our GPs also provide the link to further health services and work closely with other healthcare colleagues and multi-disciplinary teams. They also arrange hospital admissions and referrals to other services and specialists when necessary. We link with secondary and community services regarding patient care, the sharing of information and the taking of advice where required.
We also collect, process and record important information from other healthcare professionals involved in the treatment of our patients.
Our GPs are also involved in the education and training of the practice staff and other healthcare professionals.
Our mission statement
To improve the health, well-being and lives of those we care for.
To work in partnership with our patients and staff to provide the best primary care services possible working within local and national governance, guidance and regulations.
Our aims and objectives
- To provide high quality, safe, professional services to our patients.
- To focus on prevention of disease by promoting health and wellbeing and offering care and advice to our patients.
- To work in partnership with our patients, their families and carers, towards a positive experience and understanding, involving them in decision making about their treatment and care.
- To be an organisation that continually learns and improves what we are able to offer patients.
- To treat patients as individuals and with the same respect we would want for ourselves or a member or our families.
- To listen and support people to express their needs and wants and to enable people to maintain the maximum possible level of independence, choice and control.
- To work in partnership with other agencies to tackle the causes of, as well as provide the treatment for ill health and where appropriate involve other professionals in the care of our patients.
- To encourage our patients to communicate with us by joining our PPG, talking to us, participating in surveys and feeding back on the services that we offer.
- To ensure all staff have the competencies, motivation and tools to deliver the required standards of care.
- To ensure that all members of the team have the right skills and training to carry out their duties effectively and efficiently.
- To take care of our staff offering them support to do their jobs and to protect them against abuse.
- Have a zero tolerance of all forms of abuse.
- To provide our patients and staff with an environment which is safe and friendly.
- To operate on a financially sound basis.
The GMS services provided by our GPs are defined under the Standard General Medical Services Contract.
The full range of services provided (including referrals) is:
- A full range of general medical services.
- Ante-natal care.
- Anticoagulant service.
- Baby clinic.
- Cervical cytology.
- Child health and development.
- Childhood developmental checks, vaccinations and immunisations.
- Contraceptive services.
- Disease management services including asthma, diabetes, hypertension, CHD and COPD.
- District nurse, health visiting and midwifery services.
- Ear syringing.
- End of life care.
- Flu clinics.
- Health promotion services for young people and adults of all ages.
- Leg ulcer management.
- Maternity medical services.
- Medication reviews.
- Men’s health.
- Mental health.
- Minor illness clinics.
- Minor injury service.
- Minor surgery services.
- New patient consultations.
- NHS Health checks.
- Prostate cancer injection therapy.
- Removal of stitches.
- Smoking cessation service.
- Travel advice and immunisations.
- Women’s health.
Our practice also provides services which are non NHS and are paid for by the patient. These services include:
- Insurance claims forms.
- Non NHS vaccinations.
- Prescription for taking medication abroad.
- Private sick notes.
- Pre-employment and HGV medicals.
- Vaccination certificates.